rusufdavi
rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques and collectibles
73504548

I have a meteorological Barometer weather instrument. The case

Customer Question

I have a meteorological Barometer weather instrument. The case base and frame is metal with a hinged glass lid. The case measures 19" L x 13 3/4" W x 8 1/2" H. On the front base frame is a metal tag that reads Friez Instruments Baltimore. Inside the glass lid is a metal tag that reads Property of Purdue University Please do not deface alter or destroy. What was it used for? What is the market value? Thanks! David
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you for making your question to JustAnswer. My name is*****'m an Antiques Expert and I will try to help you with your particular inquiry. Please, don't hesitate to contact me any time or to make follow up questions if needed. You have a barometer from the Belfort Instrument Company. The Belfort Instrument Company was founded in 1876 in Baltimore, Maryland by Julien Friez. His vision was to furnish customers with instruments of uniform excellence and of highest reliability at fair prices so as to set the Standard of Measurement for the industry. These early Barometer versions were hand made of Brass, for specific request-in your case from Purdue University. Basically they purchased this kind of equipment for scientific research. Regarding the value of your item, I have just perform a market research of similar sold items as yours. I performed the research based upon the most recent finished auctions and private sells, so the value given is the real market value of your item. This is the only way to know the exact value of your unit.The value will be in the range of 400-550$. Please, use the stars to rate my answer or let me know if I can help you any further!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, You need pics. for an accurate appraisal. Thanks David!
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the pictures! I can confirm my initial appraisal. The value will be in the range of 400-550$. Friez Early barometers are one of the most valuable and collectible barometers nowadays, that's why such a high value for a Scientific Instrument.