Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I found an antique oil on canvas at a yard sale recently.

Customer Question

Hi. I found an antique oil on canvas at a yard sale recently. What is the best way for me to have it appraised?
It has damage & needs repair. It is of Mary Magdalene. I can't find a signature....may have worn off at the edge of painting.
On the back of the wood that the canvas is nailed to are the words "Fontin" or "Fantin" and the beginning of "Lat...."? Also the numbers 2216.
Thank you for any advice you can offer!!!
***** *****
Salem, NH
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send more photos.
A complete head-on image of the artwork both front and back, a clear in-focus close-up of the writing on the back, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora