Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have an oil on canvas signed by a Reudiger Stoitzner. It

Customer Question

I have an oil on canvas signed by a Reudiger Stoitzner. It bears similarities to pictures I have seen by Rudolf Stoitzner and to his signature. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send photos.
A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the frame was replaced in 1972 but the canvas is in it's original stretcher. The picture came into the family in +\_ 1938 at Spandau in Berlin. Our grandparents were resident in Berlin at that time. Family rumour has it that there was a connection with the artist. The canvas size is 38"x25".
I attach 2 pictures and hope they will suffice. I have limited photographic capacity I'm afraid.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
In order for me to properly assess what you have, I will need to see a clear, in-focus close-up image of the signature and a view of the back side (do not remove from frame).
Please send at your convenience.
Thank you,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 pics attached.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
At your convenience, could you please clarify what information it is you seek on this painting?
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to know if there is a link between my picture and similar ones attributed to Rudolf Stoitzner. I have tried to trace the name Reudiger Stoitzner but have always drawn a blank.
I only tried you after seeing the signature of Rudolf on a gallery picture.
Hope this explains my needs-
Regards,
Terry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any answer to my question as yet?
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Terry,
This is more for the genealogy department here than antiques and appraisals.
I will see if I can help get this moved to the right category for you.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for you help Nora. I would appreciate you passing this one to genealogy.
Best regards,
Terry
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi sent the category change request for you.
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** you for the interesting question. There does seem to be a similarity between Ruediger STOITZNER and Rudolph STOITZNER, They both painted similar subjects, worked at the same time, both signed their surnames in upper case. All of the signatures that I looked at for Rudolph have him signing with an R. rather than the full name. I have a brief bio on Rudolph. Rudolf Stoitzner was a well listed artist born in Vienna in 1873 as member of a well-known artist family, his brothers Karl Siegfried Stoitzner and Konstantin Stoitzner being renowned painters. The artist began studying under his brother Konstantin and then in Dresden and Berlin. He died in Vienna in 1933. There does not appear to be evidence of him ever going by Reudiger. It is possible Reudiger tried to attach himself to the the better known artist. Also in looking at the differences is the composition of yours compared to the recognized paintings by Rudolph there is a difference in the complexity and detail. In my opinion your painting is not by Rudolph Rudolf Stoitzner but by Reudiger Stoitzner.