Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Victorian cabriole sofa, 9 leg, ornately carved frame and legs,

Customer Question

Victorian cabriole sofa, 9 leg, ornately carved frame and legs, AND SEE-THROUGH CARVED SEAT-BACK CORNERS (couldn't find a one of them anywhere on the web), 82 inches long, 24 inches deep, back rises 19 inches above cushion, thickly filled feather/down reversible cushion, soft peach brocade, no stains, no damages, clean, zippered cushion cover, completely trimmed in carved frame, likely mahogany. Who carved the corners of sofas so I can compare? Had it 45 years, no kids or pets, downsizing, moving where it's warm! ANy idea of the value of such a piece, or may I send you a picture (provided I can figure out how to do that on this computer...)?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help. Can you please send a close-up of the corners you are mentioning?Jennifer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****nifer,
Thank you for your response. I have attached six additional views of my sofa, including the requested corners. Someone told me the wood might be rosewood, but someone else said not. Do I have to get a local expert to identify it? Or can you tell from the pictures?
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Rhonda Mechtly
Thank you.
This sofa does not have cabriolet legs, which would be typical of Victorian furniture. I'm actually seeing that the legs and carving are more typical of mid-20th century furniture.
I am going to opt out. This question will become open to all other appraisers. You do not need to take further action. One of them will continue researching and appraising this item.
Thank you.
Jennifer
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
Your sofa is made in a Sheraton-Revival style from the 18th century. Sheraton style on a sofa is recognized by the series of straight legs. A cabriole leg has a slight S-curve to the shape and more seen on chairs and tables than a couch. Based on the pierce carved corners, this would date to the 1930’s.
The wood in the images appear to be mahogany. Rosewood has a very different color and grain.
Without a maker label, stamp or country of origin, who made this cannot be definitively stated. It is likely American.
On today’s market, this can sell for as high as $750 - $1200.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora