Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a Dali etching that I am questioning It has a certificate of Authenticity on the

Customer Question

I have a Dali etching that I am questioning
It has a certificate of Authenticity on the back from Collier Art Corporation of Los Angeles. It is called Knight of the Rose and is an original etching singed/atist proof. Does that mean anything to you?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing us.

My name is ***** ***** I'd like to see if I can help.
To be honest, it's almost impossible to authenticate a Dali online. Dali changed his signature a number of times and in some cases there is still an ongoing mystery just to how many things he put his signature on.
It could be signed by Dali and still be considered a sort of fake. Of course that's bolstered by the fact that Dali signed a a few thousand blank papers during bets, drinks, etc that were then produced by somewhat fraudulent companies and Dali would claim they were bogus.
I will say that Collier Art Corporation of Los Angeles does have some less than perfect history involving possibly selling non-authentic art and in some cases completely without the artist's approval.
I don't show a record of any Dali piece being called Knight of the Rose. There is one under the spanish name (which may be where the confusion comes). It was called Cavalier a la Rose. It was part of a suite that included another etching called Amazone. They were produced in 1973.
It could be an original piece. The signature and placement look right, but the fact that it's not colored does give me pause. If a plain sketch was printed, there's no set record of it and those versions don't turn up in my research. I'm not ruling it out though.
I know there were artist proofs made, but without inspecting it, there's no way to authenticate it. Had it been one that was obviously never a print that Dali made, then it would be easier to say it was a fake. With it being a print that was done officially, it just can't be done online. I'm sorry to say.
Your best bet would be to take to an art appraiser to have them inspect it or you could consider contacting
Salvador Dalí Research Center
3 East 69th Street,
New York, NY 10021
http://daliresearchcenter.org/
or
Dali Society
2007 West Carson Street,
Torrance, CA 90501
email: ***@******.***
I wish I could give you a definite answer, but it's just not possible with Dali pieces online.
~Diana