Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

I have a statue of a woman holding flowers against her

Customer Question

Hi. I have a statue of a woman holding flowers against her hip in her left hand. There is a nameplate on the back of it that says copyright by C. Henneke Co. I am wondering what it is and what the value may be. it appears to have been broken and glued back together . Can you help?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer and requesting me. My name is ***** ***** I'd like to see if I can help.
In all honesty, with it being broken and repaired, the value won't be much, but I'll be happy to take a look.
Could you possibly send a picture?
If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos.
.
Here's another way that works really well:
.
Go to http://www.imgur.com.
Click "Computer".
Double click the image you want to upload.
Click "Start Upload".
When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.
.
If those don't work you can email them.
.
Email the pictures to***@******.***
.
They have to be sent from the same email address that you used to sign up Answer (which is usually the email address you use to Log In). It has to be the same email address or JA won't recognize it and they'll just delete them.
.
Make sure you tell them that you've tried everything and that you're trying to get pictures to me (DianaF) in antiques and give them your screen (customer) name and your real name.
.
That should do it.
.
Thanks, Diana
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are some pics. Hopefully it is worth something :)
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi.
Thanks for the pictures! That is just what I needed.
C. Hennecke stands for Caspar Hennecke. He founded a statuary company in Wisconsin around 1865 and they were in business in the area for over 50 years. Hennecke didn't really design the pieces. Instead he hired artists to create pieces based on his designs. For the most part, they offered a catalog and you could choose from the hundreds of different pieces they offered.
Hennecke's pieces were finished in a number of ways: left raw, painted, bronzed, and even sort of glazed.
Your statue is in sort of painted plaster/chalkware piece. Based on her style and the tag used, she looks to be from the company's art nouveau era and should date from about 1890 to 1915 or so. She represents a sort of whimsical female figure (much like a goddess). It's based on pieces you tend to have with French sculptures around the same time frame.
In mint condition it would be worth about $200 to $300. With the damage and repair, it would only be worth about $75 to maybe $100 on the high side. Selling it will be harder, but there are buyers that don't mind damaged pieces, especially if they think they're getting a deal.
Prices will vary a bit depending on the condition and exactly where you try to sell it. Online markets (like Ebay) and garage sales tend to go for far less than the actual value.
Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores, but they generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, they may be a bit too pricey. On the plus side, they do get the "higher" paying customers.
http://www.bonanza.com, GoAntiques and Artfire are great up and coming sites as well that you might check in to.
You might check out the consignment cost with any local antique shops, especially if you have any higher end shops near you. Some places charge about 25% to 30% of final sell price, but in dealing local you generally have less competition. It's always worth checking out.
Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower because there is a lot of competition on there. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
When you get the survey in email please consider filling it out. These ratings should be based on my professionalism and courteousness to the customer. I am not responsible for any issues with the site or any values that are not as high as expected. I cannot control either one. Thank you so much!
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
Have a great day.
~Diana