Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

My Mother-in-Law, who is 91 has a set of Silver Plate Flatware

Customer Question

My Mother-in-Law, who is 91 has a set of Silver Plate Flatware with a guarantee from WM. Rogers Manufacturing Co. Extra Plate. It is in the original case with 2 drawers. How can we get this appraised?
Thank you!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
I need to know how many your set serves. Then I need to know how many pieces each person has (how many pieces are in each place setting).
Then I need to know how many serving pieces come with the set.
Next, I need a photo of the full pattern - the photo showing all of a fork would work.
Then I need to know exactly what the words and numbers are on the back.
You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo.
To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or paper clip you see on your reply page.
If none is there, then you may use the free internet photo site
imgur.com Use the following instructions:
Go to http://www.imgur.com
a. Click "Computer"
b. Find the photo file on your computer that you want to send
c. Click open on the file
d. You will see a Start Upload link on the imgur.com page.
Click on it
e. Your image will appear on the screen
f. Highlight and copy the address link under Direct Link
to the right on the imgur page
g. Paste that link into your reply box on Just Answer
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doris,
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the set is not here with me in the Dallas area. It is with my sister-in-law in Beaumont. I will give her your information. Also, I do prefer to talk directly. How can we reach you when she has this information. It will not be until later in the week.Best regards,Molly(###) ###-####
I really do not give appraisals over the phone. I like to have the time to research current/accurate values properly.
I will make some suggestions for selling once I have the information I need.
There is no hurry.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doris,
When we have the information you need it will send it to you.
Thank you again!
I look forward to hearing back from you.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doris,
As I mentioned, I do not access to the information you need to give me an answer. My sister-in-law has the set and she just lost a close friend. I just wanted to know where I could go to get an appraisal not the actual appraisal.
Molly
Any appraiser is going to need a least a name or photo of a piece of
your mother's plated flatware.
Do you want the name of an appraiser in Dallas? Or Beaumont? If Beaumont, then what large city is that near?
I'd be happy to look for appraisers for you.
Unfortunately, in appraising sets we need specific basic information.
For example, the number the set serves - how many pieces each person has - how many serving pieces there are.
I am a true specialist in silver having collected it since 1957. I cannot give a value without knowing these basic facts. Is someone tries to, then the appraisal will not be valid.
I can guess at piece prices if that will help but I cannot value a "set" when I do not know the number of pieces and what it looks like.
If you wish, I can release your question to the other professionals to see if someone wants to guess. This is called "opting out."
It does not cost you extra nor do you need to relist your question. It merely opens it up to the other professionals on the site.
Do you want me to opt out or do you want me to guess at per piece values the way anyone would need to do?
Kind regards,
Foris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doris,
We do not need the name of an appraiser at this time. I was just on an information gathering mission. I do not feel it is that valuable since it is only silver plate not solid silver. I do not wish to opt out at this point. Since I do not have the information at hand that you need and my sister in law is very busy with other things, I will just have to postpone this discussion for another time.
Thank you for your help.Molly
Molly,
Frankly, plated silver is worth very little now unless it is something like Christofle.
The value of plated silver has dropped significantly in the last twenty years.
People still buy sterling because of the investment value of the metal but even it is low right now.
I see silver dealers slashing their prices often.
Kind regards,
Doris