Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a wooden chest, oak probably, but I don't know wood

Customer Question

I have a wooden chest, oak probably, but I don't know wood very well. The card inside says "This chest was purchased in Herkimer, NY 1958. Made in New York State or Pennsylvania 1835-1840." The chest shows wear and tear but is in good shape. It's 37 inches long, 19 inches wide and 18 inches high. Seems to have been painted black originally though much of the painting is worn off. Any idea as to its value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
HelloWhat does it look like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't give much more info than I said. Appears to have been painted black originally or a long time ago. Top is almost bare of color. Has a lid that opens. A type of chest for storing linens, things like that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checking to see if you received my response.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
HelloYes, I understand, I am trying to determine if this is a plain wood chest, not adornments, no carvings, not trim etc. Just a plain square chest. Is it footed or does it sit flat on the floor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's plain wood, no adornments or carvings. Sits flat but has a moulding around the bottom. I wish I could tell you wood details but I'm an ignoramous there. Along the back sides top to bottom are triangular pieces. Perhaps they are called dove tail joints?
Could text you photos with a phone #.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
HelloYou can send them like this with a phone, just be sure to send them from the same email address you used to register on the justanswer site with so, they know where it is coming from. end them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me. ..Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques"..In the body of the message put , your user name and name..Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with... Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me. Glenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The email on my i phone is a different email.I guess I will download the pictures from my iphone to my desktop and then send them. I guess eventually they'll contact you. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, that's not going to work. I can't seem to import photos from my iphone to my desktop. So would like your best guess as to item's value.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf you down load them to your laptop you can upload them here. Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,.If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !Click the link: for instructions on uploading images http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert