Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

We just got a mahogany secretary desk (ladies writing desk)

Customer Question

We just got a mahogany secretary desk (ladies writing desk) drawers have XV. Etc. What's a good place to start for research? Drawers are all dovetailed
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not machine dovetail
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send clear in-focus close-ups of a corner of a drawer so I can see the dovetailing.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much! I spent 8 hour researching this and finally decided to turn to the experts.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Certainly.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
At your convenience, please clarify for me what information it is that you seek on this desk.
Thank you,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you knew the value and when it was made.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
ok, thank you for clarifying.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi~
Thank you for your patience and my apologies for the delay, I had family visiting from out of town.
This ladies desk was made circa 1900. The main to age clues are the patina and graining of the wood used as well as the overall shape, which is a French Louis Revival form from the Late Victorian into the Edwardian period.
The joinery of the drawers is indeed machine produced. True hand-made hand-cut dovetail would be in triangular form.
On today’s market, this would sell for a high average of $300 - $400. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $750.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora