rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a ***** ***** painting on stretched canvas, 24 x 40,

Customer Question

I have a ***** ***** painting on stretched canvas, 24 x 40, Sunset Shore, with a number, 3107. The painting is in good shape, but it seems to have a yellowing finish as if it was a varnish. I was told by email that this is a print because that is what they used to show like paint brush stokes on the canvas. If so how did they print on canvas during his life time. A print or not a print --worth cleaning?
Wendy xxxx
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
This is a lithographic print of one of his paintings. The original is in a private collection and there are many of the lithographic prints on canvas out there. Printing on canvas was done in his lifetime, just by a different process than they use now. I will enter here an excerpt from his biography..."A painter of realistic landscapes reflecting a vanishing wilderness in America, ***** ***** (not to be confused with Robert E. Wood) is reportedly one of the most mass-produced artists in the United States. His painting became so popular he was unable to meet all of the demands, and many of his works were reproduced in lithographs and mass distributed as prints, place mats, and wall murals by companies including Sears, Roebuck. " Your piece was likely one of the Sears pieces. I have seen this same painting /lithographic print on canvas for sale for about $70.00 framed.