rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a old painting of a white horse head. Would like to

Customer Question

I have a old painting of a white horse head. Would like to know if it is worth anything.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send photos.
A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
24 x 17 or 18 very poor condition. It has no signature but does have initials. Looks like R I. This painting has been in our family for I know 90 years maybe more.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for the additional information. Only one photos of the backside it attached. Please send the other requested images at your convenience. ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did u get front of painting
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Yes, thank you.
Is this framed under glass?
In order for me to properly assess this online for you I will really need to see more higher resolution images and close-ups of the surface so I can see the texture and the signature.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is under glass u said do not remove from frame. The frame is in bad shape but I can take it out if need be.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Do not remove from frame, it is not necessary. Please send requested higher resolution images at your convenience. Thank youNora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to late I don't know how to send a better picture.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi~
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Your painting is a watercolor that was done circa 1930 based on the paper and the frame. It is not a professional artist's work and was painted by a student or amateur artist. This is a copy of a painting by Heinrich Sperling (German, 1844-1924) that hangs in a museum in Norfolk, England. Your painting has some water spots where moisture has gotten in and bled the paint. Also, the backing of wood or cardboard has acids that discolored the paper over time. This painting has a current value of $40.00.