Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Looking on a Chicago Company called L.G. Gould

Customer Question

Looking for information on a Chicago Company called L.G. Gould & Co. I found one article on-line from 1890 and that is it.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
I would need a little more context of why you are looking for this company. If you have an item with this mark, label or stamp, please add a photo of the item and the mark so that I can get some visual clues as to what the Gould Company manufactured. You can add photos by using the paper clip icon or the ADD FILES button. These features work best on a desktop computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a large wooden bowl and stamped L.G. Gould & Co. Chicago, IL on the bottom. I will try to get a picture as soon as I can. I have it stored away. It has about a one inch outside the top rim wood edging. I estimate it to be around the year 1900. From what I could find on-line the company was sold to International Woodenware, Inc. in 1904. Chicago library has the catalog and have contacted them with no answer yet. Trying to find the value of this piece. Guessing it's about 18 inches across.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
None of these companies sound familiar to me, nor can I find a match in my books or online for you. I will opt-out and allow another expert to step in and answer. This does not cost you anything extra.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did a lot of research on-line too and also found the same information. I thought if I paid you $38 you had information and/or access to information I couldn't find on-line. Sending a picture of the bowl I wouldn't think would help you without knowing the company information. Please advise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
attachment of picture of bowl below. let me know if you cannot open. thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent you the pictures and have not received a response that told me anything I didn't know already. Currently I am not satisfied and would like a refund to my credit card please.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
My name is Glenda,
I will be glad to help you today.
There is not further information on the company, not all companies kept records that were saved over all those years. When companies closed records were destroyed, so what little information remains about them is all there is. Unless they were a famous company that remained in business for many years, and they archived their information. But, then someone had to keep the records, then later take the time to record all the information somewhere, and for it to get to the internet, someone had to scan all information then put it on a website somewhere. Websites are expensive to maintain, they have to be paid for. So there is really very little information about old companies on the internet, and very little in books unless they were famous.
Your bowl is a carved bowl from one piece of wood common during the early part of the 20thC, used to dough, usually. These are carved out of Birch, then treated with mineral oil so they are food safe. They used them to make bread. Most kitchens had a good quality wood dough bowl.
This can be valued if you like?