Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Have a few Commedia Dell'Arte figurines. All 8.5" high. designer

Customer Question

Have a few Commedia Dell'Arte figurines. All 8.5" high.
designer initails marked.
The bottom marking shows a " brNCH IN A semi-circle, with the initials underneath.
They are footed, and the figure ( PaNTALONE, ETC.) is on a 1.25" raise from the base.
The name oif the character appears in gold below their figure.Who made these?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you for making your question to JustAnswer. My name is*****'m an Antiques Expert and I will try to help you with your particular inquiry. Please, don't hesitate to contact me any time or to make follow up questions if needed. Could you provide a picture of the mark? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
jUST SENT THREE PHOTOS.
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
It only came up this one: IMG_3830.JPG Could you resend the other ones?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hERE ARE THE OTHER TWO.
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
It seems that you can only send one at a time because it only came up this one: IMG_3832.JPG
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the last one.
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
I got them! thanks for the effort. Where is the "brNCH" mark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By that Imean the sort of scrolling which goes in a semi-circle.
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
I'm trying to locate the manufacturer but I cold not find anything for that particular mark. All the figurines have the same mark? I tried to correlate the mark with any Germanish porcelain manufacturer, Meissen,Scheibe,Höchst, KPM...etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ANYTHING FURTHER OR NO DEFINITE ANSWER ?
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I cannot resolve the manufacturer of the figurines. I will opt out the question to see if another expert can come and help you
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
How many figures total do you have?
More clear, in-focus close-up images of the maker marks on the figurines will be very helpful.
At your convenience, please send the number of figurines and more images of just the mark on them.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora "atahere asre six in total.
I am sending two photos.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think you only got .032 so here is the mark.
Fred
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
Thank you for your patience.
Although modeled after 18th century German and Italian royal porcelain factory figurals of Commedia dell’Arte characters, the stamped mark on yours of SR under a leafy branch or laurel indicates these were made in the 20th century in Japan.
Since the 19th century, Japan has had a very robust porcelain ware export market and oftentimes they copied popular Western styles. SR is purportedly a factory that also produced wares for companies such as Lefton and Napco.
On today’s market, expect to garner a high average of $75 - $100 per figure.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora