Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I am seeking to identify the pattern of alleged solid gold

Customer Question

I am seeking to identify the pattern of alleged solid gold antique flatware. I have searched for any markings and there are none. Each piece is gold colored and even the knife blades are gold. Can I send you a picture of the pattern?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! This is Robert here. Thanks for asking for me, I would be happy to help with your flatware.Could you very kindly attach a photo of the entire back of one of the pieces so I can see the pattern from the reverse.Also, if you'd like me to give you a value just let me know the full inventory of the set and whether you have a fitted box for it.Many thanks and wait to hear.Robert.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8 each of dinner knives, dinner forks, soup spoons, 7 salad forks; 15 tea spoons, 1 butter knife, 1 sugar spoon. No box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive the photos? It seemed like my wi fi is crawling today.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Yes! I got your excellent photo, thanks so much.Leave this with me while I see if I can track these down.Sadly, I am 99.99% sure these are gold tone, not solid gold. Any maker that went to the trouble and expense of using solid gold would absolutely have them assayed and marked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it's possible that this is gold plated sterling? The pieces are substantial in weight but no piece has any signs of tarnish or peeling?
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
I had considered gold plated sterling (vermeil as the French call it), but that's also a very expensive process in both time and materials and would be marked "sterling" if it was or, if French, have small "Minerva" head touchmarks on each piece usually located discreetly on the back of the business end of each piece, as well as a maker's name in a tiny lozenge-shaped punch.The only way to be sure is to take it to a good jewelers to have it tested. Somebody who knows how to test the base metal on gold plated items, not an easy test to do as most reagents don't go deep enough. One has to make a tiny incision in the gold surface to make sure what you're testing is the metal underneath. Robert