Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

How much would a Mary Cassatt, American (1844-1926) Quietude,

Customer Question

How much would a Mary Cassatt, American (1844-1926)
Quietude, circa 1891, drypoint etching, fifth of five stars, pencil
signed lower right
Cat. Raisonne: Breeskin #139
12 x 9 inches (sight), Framed
Be valued?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.I researched Mary Stevenson Cassatt's drypoints before I decided t answer.Mary Stevenson Cassatt (1844-1926) AmericanLater life"In 1891, she exhibited a series of highly original colored drypoint and aquatint prints, including Woman Bathing and The Coiffure, inspired by the Japanese masters shown in Paris the year before. (See Japonism) Cassatt was attracted to the simplicity and clarity of Japanese design, and the skillful use of blocks of color. In her intrepretation, she used primarily light, delicate pastel colors and avoided black (a "forbidden" color among the Impressionists). A. Breeskin, of the Smithsonian Institution, notes that these colored prints, 'now stand as her most original contribution adding a new chapter to the history of graphic arts technically, as color prints, they have never been surpassed'."When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.In researching the average auction price that Mary Cassett's drypoints sold for, I found that the auction sales price of yours would be $5764.A retail art gallery would charge double the auction sales price. This means that your Cassett signed drypoint would have an estimated retail value of $11,528 assuming good condition.A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you. All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control. Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. Kind regards.Doris
Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Let me know,
Doris