Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I inherited a painting from my great grandmother, it is reverse

Customer Question

I inherited a painting from my great grandmother, it is reverse painted on glass, a castle in the moonlight and in the bottom right it says Glen Cairn Castle, Ireland. The style appears to be non - distinguishable from the reverse on glass castles produced by the Chicago Portrait Co in the early 1900's.
Family legend has it that a neighbor gave it to Grandma in gratitude for her help running his home after his wife passed away. At the time he told her they had purchased it at the St. Louis Worlds Fair in 1904. Jump forward a few years to when great aunt Gin was in school, late 30's or so, and her teacher told the class a story as part of the lesson about the fair....it seems an artist at the fair was arrested and all of his reverse paintings destroyed for copyright infringement (I assume copyright was held by the Chicago Portrait Co ). It was at that point that Aunt Gin piped up with "my mom has one of his paintings".
Since the teacher had just instructed the class that all the paintings were destroyed, she chastised Aunt Gin for "making up stories" and accompanied her home after school to have a talk with Grandma about her dishonesty. Only to be floored upon walking into the house and seeing the painting in question hung prominently on the living room wall.
Sadly, that is as far as family history takes me, nobody ever bothered to make note of the artist name, and all those who might have remembered are long gone now. I contacted the SLWF Historical Society but they were unable to offer any answers. Both my mother and I have researched off and on for years....it would be incredible to have the identity of the artist to pass down along with this treasured heirloom, and I would rest much easier if I knew the value and could be secure that I have sufficient insurance coverage!
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
Rhonda
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.I'll need to see an overall photo of the painting, front and back, plus a close-up of the writing. Also, please look very carefully on all parts of the painting to make sure there isn't a concealed signature.You can upload photos using the paperclip icon on the toolbar above your reply box. Let me know if you have any difficulty.Sincerely,Jennifer