Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have an early Johanes Raphael Wehle. Found at my

Customer Question

i have an early Johanes Raphael Wehle. Found at my grandmothers house she just passed away at 101 - she told us at one time her father had purchased this at auction in Ireland - it is date 1874 and is in pristine condition. it is a painting but also has
cloth for the clothing and shoes? Can't find anything on the net except his later work
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please send the dimensions of your painting.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have the exact size but I would say roughly 20x24 inches. I have pics of it and sig and back if you want them I'm really interested in this thing was done in 1874
To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or paper clip you see on your reply page.If none is there, then you may use the free internet photo siteimgur.com Use the following instructions:Go to http://www.imgur.com a. Click "Computer" b. Find the photo file on your computer that you want to send c. Click open on the file d. You will see a Start Upload link on the imgur.com page. Click on it e. Your image will appear on the screen f. Highlight and copy the address link under Direct Link to the right on the imgur page g. Paste that link into your reply box on Just AnswerKind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have attached a picture of it - now keep in mind most is painted but the clothing is all done in different materials
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
signature
I have studied Johannes Raphael Wehle's work. None this early (1874)contains clothing. Collages were not popular in 1874. I strongly feel this cloth was added later probably by him in the early 20thC.Can you see if there is any painting beneath the clothing?Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I will not take this apart as I feel it may be a lost work of his - very early maybe a school project that ended up on the market he did use 2 signatures but yeah would really like to get some sort of value on this - sure is old
Perhaps so.As you know he was German painter. German artists, like French, often developed art techniques before artists in other countries.When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.Taking into consideration the unusual nature of this piece plus past sales, one would say the estimated auction price would be $2200 - 2400 assuming great condition.Retail art galleries will often double or more the auction sales price. This means the retail price would be $4400-4800.A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.Kind regards.Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have seen some of his work selling for over 20K I would think the rare nature of this would bring in a lot more than 2400?
These are the auction prices I used and the dates - from 3 different artist data bases:21.65 x 28.35" - Sold $1538 (2009) - about same size but a little larger8.46 x 6.30" - Sold $594 (2004) - smaller than yours48.82 x 29.92" - Sold $11,429 (2004) - much larger than yours.Perhaps the ones you have seen sell for higher prices were much larger than yours.Much depends on the bidding pool and the location of the auction.Still, these were the auction values listed on three different subscription references.Please do not rate me down because these auction values tell the story of values.Kind regards,Doris