Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
66811035

I have an antique upholstered rocking chair my grandmother

Customer Question

I have an antique upholstered rocking chair my grandmother bought at an antique store 70 years ago. It is all original and in fair condition. Will it ruin the value to have it re-upholstered? Can you appraised it?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer, My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.Your antique platform rocker would have been produced circa 1880's and is an example of the Victorian Sub Genre known as the Aesthetic Style. The carved rocking chair has spindles underneath the arms and and underneath the front seat rail. The chair which appears to be composed of a stained walnut and has leaf carvings on either side of the base. In excellent condition you would be looking at a current resale value of around 350-500USD. There are some collectors out there who will only buy original upholstered pieces, but the way the current market stands the majority of people want to be able to use pieces, so reupholstering is not quite as big of a deal as it once was. It just really depends on the next buyer. If it is something you want to hang on to I would say go ahead and reupholster it, but if you want to sell quickly, I would advise leaving it as is. I hope this information was helpful to you today.Best of luck with your antique rocking chair.Any feedback you can leave for my service would be much appreciated.Thank You,FrankPlease let me know if you have any difficulties with our rating system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I plan on keeping it but was just curious.
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Have a great evening.Frank