Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have a painting that I cannot identify. It is a painting

Customer Question

I have a painting that I cannot identify. It is a painting of the harbor in Venice Italy. It shows sail boats and the shoreline. I saw one appraised on the roadshow sometime ago. It was a painting of the harbor. In it the artist conceiled his signature in the painting. The one we have is the same. We purchases this painting in Europe 25 years ago and are trying to get more information. Thamks
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Do you remember the name of the artist on the roadshow. Have you found a signature concealed in your painting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I found the signature but cant read it. That is the reason I contacted you. I was hoping you would have some idea by looking at the painting. How can I send you a picture of the signature?
You can use the paperclip icon found on the tool bar to attach it. When you do can you send one of the back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim...I attempted to add a photo of the signature at the add files and the system would not allow it. What else an I do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK...I see that it did upload.
Thank you for the image of the signature. I looked for the artist based on the signature you sent. The name appears to be Mario Venro, Vento or Venzo. The closest possible match is Mario Venzo (1900 - 1989) Italian artist. Most of his work is a contemporary versions of older style paintings. In order to give you a value range for his art I looked for sales records for the artist. There are only three records 2 for watercolors and 1 for a painting. The Painting sold at auction for $2,000.00. With only one comparable it is hard to give you a range. Based on the subject, 'Venice', the size and quality of the work the estimated auction value is $2,000.00 to $2,500.00, and the estimated insurance replacement value is: $4,000.00 to $5,000.00.Thank you for using Just Answer. Caio Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim...thanks, ***** ***** I sell a painting like this?
You can check with your local auctions to see if they will take it on.