Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a cast bronze bell, suspended from a flying dragon

Customer Question

Hello,I have a cast bronze bell, suspended from a flying dragon . The piece is approx 9 inches and is hihly decorated with crying cherubs covering the complete surface. The wall mount is about 7 inches .The overall impression one gets on looking at the bell is that the
children are crying are frightened by the sound of the bell scaring off the dragon. This heavy brass bell looks like it has been moulded in two parts. The hanger has a winged cherub looking down at the bell. thank you .
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~ My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question. At your convenience, please send photos. When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment. There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here. Sincerely,Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are photos of the bell.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience.
This is an antique late 19th century circa 1885 High Victorian Era, Italianate style cast brass metal (not bronze) wall mount bell. These ornate bells had several uses depending on the need of the owner. They were placed at an estate home service gate as a door bell, in pubs for last call and on house porches as the dinner bell.
Based on comparable of others sold at auction, the high sale average is $125 - $175. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $325.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora