Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

10 boys sitting at a log wooden table in an academic setting,

Customer Question

10 boys sitting at a log wooden table in an academic setting, appears to sitting on some type of small wooden stage – books and book bags - clothing is tattered and holes in the shoes, but “Sunday Best” jackets – all approximately the same age - carved into wooden stage “CUST.IGLEA.MUNCHHEN 1880 - not a painting, some type of photography?
I know this has been in the family for almost 100 years. My mother is now in her 80's and she remembers always having this hanging above her piano.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.Would it be possible to upload a clear close-up of the writing you mention?Sincerely,Jennifer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In taking these pictures I realized there is another carving in the middle of the wood plank - ??? Bank. My grandmother lived in the mid-west as a child. Mother says she had this picture as a young girl in Nebraska. Don't know if that helps or not. My mother has late stage Alzheimer. I'm trying to find something she might be able to recall. We both had a love-hate relationship with the picture - she hung it in the same place as her mother - over the piano. As we were practicing scales, we could look up and totally understand the boys facial expressions.
Great story! I have stuff like that from my mom's house.I got the photo with Bank, can you get me one of the Munchen text?Jennifer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry! Try these!
I'm very sorry, I've been through every database I can think of doing every kind of search I can think of, with no success. I am going to opt-out. This question will become visible to the other appraisers, and hopefully one of them will be able to step in.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~ My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question. This is a circa 1900 framed photogravure print of a painting that was originally done in 1880 by the Hungarian, Austrian-born and German based artist Gustav Igler (1842 - 1908) . The in plate signature is shortened to Gust. Igler Munchen (Munchen is the German word for the city called Munich in English). He was known for genre painting, especially depicting children. The words with Bank are illegible in the photo, though likely the title to the original painting. Photogravures are prints that involve a camera in the process and capture all the exact details of a painting though not in color. On today’s market, your antique framed print can sell for a high average of $75 - $110. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $225. Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating. If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know! Your question will NOT close after you leave rating. Sincerely,Nora