Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

WE HAVE RECENTLY UNCOVERED A 6' X 6 1/2 BROWN WITH WHITE STRIPE

Customer Question

WE HAVE RECENTLY UNCOVERED A 6' X 6 1/2 BROWN WITH WHITE STRIPE VICUNA PELT. MY FATHER HAS TOLD US THAT WHILE WORKING AS A INTERNATIONAL SALES REP. IN BRAZIL, THE BLANKET WAS GIVEN TO HIM BY A DIGNATARY AS A GIFT OF APPERICATION. HE WAS TOLD THAT THE ANIMAL WAS EXTINCT AND THAT IT WOULD BE AGAINST THE LAW TO BE CAUGHT WITH IT. WE ARE VERY INTERESTED IN OBTAINING THE VALUE AND WOULD ALSO BE INTERESTED IN SELLING IT
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Is your pelt of vicuna the result of the killing of a vicuna or is it woven as a wool? In other words, does the pelt include the skin of the animal?Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pelt is not woven as a wool
See this URL link from the United States Fish & Wildlife Service. It indicates that vicuna pelts are not legal to sell unless one can prove it dates prior to 1970 when the vicuna was put on the endangered species list. If your pelt dates back that far, you will still need a Fish & Wildlife License Cities form to sell or even take it across state lines. If it is more recent than 1970, you cannot sell it or take it across state lines.The animal was being poached/killed for its coat nearly to the point of extinction prior to this law.The numbers of the vicuna have increased dramatically since 1970. Even vicuna from some countries has been given a "threatened" status. Even "threatened" species require a Cities permission form.With all the restrictions, the older pelts bring very large prices. I will venture an estimate of $15,000 -18,000 for your peltThe vicuna wool does not need to be restricted as the vicuna can be sheared every two years.I had a pre-1970 vicuna wool coat as a child. It was the warmest coat I have ever known.The URL -http://ecos.fws.gov/speciesProfile/profile/speciesProfile.action?spcode=A02LI wish I had better news for you.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.Kind regards.Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help however, I do have some additional questions. We cannot tell or determine the age of the pelt so we cant determine if its before after 1970. Could you help us in finding someone who might be interested in purchasing it, or where to go from here. We have no use for this item and would like to get rid of it somehow..Please help.
I phone call really would not help plus there is an additional cost to you charged by Just Answer.First, let's try to see if it is at all possible to date your pelt. When was it gifted to your father?Kind regards,Doris
Please see this online information:Listing of Vicuna as "endangered or threatened" by US Fish & Wildlife Services laws -http://ecos.fws.gov/speciesProfile/profile/speciesProfile.action?spcode=A02L"Both under the rule of the Inca and today, vicuñas have been protected by law, but they were heavily hunted in the intervening period. At the time they were declared endangered in 1974, only about 6,000 animals were left. Today, the vicuña population has recovered to about 350,000, and although conservation organizations have reduced its level of threat classification, they still call for active conservation programs to protect populations from poaching, habitat loss, and other threats."I do not know for sure that now the Vicuna pelts where a vicuna must be kllied, that the pelt can be sold now that it is on the "threatened" list. The laws vary from state to state in the USA. For example, CA has different requirements than some other states.The best thing for you to do, is contact the national US Fish and Wildlife service. The number is ***** They will put you in contact with one of the US regional offices for Fish & Wildlife Services.Just in case you can sell your pelt, then please know -A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value. I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.Kind regards.Doris