Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a very old tapestry and i was just wondering

Customer Question

hello
I have a very old tapestry and i was just wondering how many years old this fabric is?
It is european and has a lute player and joker the king and the lady, it is wooven with wool and cotton and also has gold threads througout the entire tapestry, can you please give me an estimate how old this is?
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also the tapestry only has a few colors throuhout it all, no more than 10 colors, the swords on the joker and lute player are made out of gold thread or wire thread, i don't know how old my piece is? i think they are in a tavern scene and i am only guessing, the wooven tapestry has healthy fringes and in general the fabric is in healthy nick. there is also lead window aswell, hope you can help me here so i can learn more about this tapestry. it could be 500 hundred years old for all i know or even could be older and i am not sure? thankyou and here from your detailed email, Thankyou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is defenitly a eurpean scene of that? and a royal scene at that, thankyou and here from you soon..
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
My name is Glenda,
I will be glad to help you today.
There is no way to tell how old fabric is without being able to physically see it and touch it. It actually really needs to be tested but, that can be expensive to do. The best that can be done online is to see a picture of it and make comparisons to others that are similar, it can give an idea of age and value. If you would like that, I would need to see an image of this one that shows the front, and the back.
It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.
If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !
Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.
.
.
.
.
.
This a completely free photo hosting site, it does not cost one thing to use it.
http://www.photobucket.com/ it is very easy to use, you log in, create an account , make a user name, do not use an email address as user name , then upload your pictures, making them public, then come give me your user name, I have an account and can log into them and see them...
.
Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
Glenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Glenda, I have some pictures from my web camera and I hope they come out ok enough so you can see the medieval tapestry, the height is 50cms and the width is 45cms, also how much is the process to get it examined for the age of the cotton and wool? please keep me in the know. by the photo can you figgure out if the tapestry is french or Spanish or something else?
This tapestry also has gold through it all but is hard to see on the photo's provided, gold thread and wire swords, please keep me in the know and this is much apprieated by me, Guy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry glenda for asking for a fefund and i did not know it takes some time to access the tapestry. Sorry for asking for a refund . Can you reverse this decession on my behalf, I really respect your professional opinion and I will do what it takes to figure this tapestry of mine out. Please email me back as I have uploaded a few images of the item. Thankyou
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Guy
I do not know what you mean about a refund I do not see that on my end. I am not an employee of the justanswer site, the appraisers come to the site to answer questions that customers post there.
From the look of the tapestry it looks to be Spanish. I cannot began to say how old this is just from pictures. You will really need to take this to have it looked at in person.
Here is a place you can contact in Australia that can point you in the right direction there, to help get this dated.
Australian Tapestry Workshop
262-266 Park Street
South Melbourne Victoria 3205
Australia
P (61 3) 9699 7885
E***@******.***
W www.austapestry.com.au
Behruz Studio
(Behruz Aligorgi) *****
Glen Iris VIC 3146 ***@******.***
Phone: 03 9824 8156
Facsimile: 03 98245853
Website: www.behruzstudio.com
Appraisals and valuations for Oriental rugs, carpets and related textiles.
One of these two should be able to help you with dating and valuing this tapestry for you.
Glenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Glenda, how is it going?
I am still endeavening to learn more about my Spanish Tapestry, would you be able to tell me a "Title" for this tapestry, like the name of the scene of the people in the tapestry, royal scene ?
Thankyou and I look forward in you giving me a title name for the scene,
Thankyou kindly Guy McIntosh..
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Guy There is no way to know what the title of this is, since it is not signed or marked. It could be called many things. Or is may not even have a title. I am sure the artist was depicting something but, without their having something on this there is no way to know. I am sorry. The best thing to do is contact one of the sites I gave you they can possibly help decipher what it means. Glenda