Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Can you identify the practical use of the item in the picture?

Customer Question

Can you identify the practical use of the item in the picture? It makes a sound like crystal when struck, yet is overlaid with silver. The handle is on the bottom of the pot and the handle has a curl on the end that looks like it can be hung from a peg when not in use.
/Users/rjssloan/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Previews/2015/05/27/20150527-141107/NUbVF62pSWeBiSdMKt7J3Q/IMG_2330.jpg
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your mystery itemCould you very kindly attach a photo using the "Attach Images" tab or clicking on the paperclip icon on the box where you are typing to me. (The link you sent me won't pull up the images)Many thanks and wait to hear,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert, I'm sorry for the delay. I had a hard time getting the photo.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
No problem with the delay! Thanks for the photo.What size is it?Would you say the pot held about a quarter of a cup?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's larger than that. I poured 2 cups of water into it and it filled it within a half inch from the top.
The cup, or bowl, is 3 1/4 inches deep and aprox 4 1/2 inches wide at the bulge.
The rim has no spout, so it must not be for pouring. I thought maybe it is a holy water font used in
Catholic churches (the parishioners would dip their fingers into it). The handle is aprox 9 1/2 inches long.
It makes a beautiful crystal tone when struck with my knuckle.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the measurements, it's larger than in looks in the photo.I think you may be right about the holy water, but possibly of the type used in Indonesia and China which is a larger dipper like this, which often has a hook ended handle for hanging up afterwards.I have not seen anything like it, I wish I could be more help.I'll opt out and see if someone else knows what this is.You don't have to do anything, they'll chime right it whenever they have the answer.Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been six days and I have had no further response. Please credit the $33.00 charged to my credit card. Thanks for trying.