Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a 3 foot tapered stick with a bullet mounted on one

Customer Question

I have a 3 foot tapered stick with a bullet mounted on one end and a French coin in the handle. Can you help me identify it? it has "France" engraved on it and initials "AEF" engraved. the coin reads: "Republique Francaise"
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The seven attached files show the full length of it and various zooms showing details. One picture shows what appears to be a missing engraved plaque of some sort, unfortunately.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hello, There are 4 images attached here. You mention 7 photos - please send the others at your convenience. Thank you, Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm seeing all 7 #'s:1299; 1300; 1301; 1303; 1304; 1305; 1306 Let me know which ones you don't have.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My apologies, I am testing a new system here for a week and finding that not all images are showing on it. I do not have numbers 1304,1305,1306. Thank you, Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, here they are.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, thank you! Please allow me some time to write your assessment. I will post it here when complete. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~ Thank you for your patience. This walking stick is hand made trench art that was owned by an American Doughboy in France during World War I (1914 -1918). The initials A.E.F stand for American Expeditionary Force. The soldier was likely injured in some way during the war to warrant the use of a walking stick. On today’s market, these currently sell for a high average of $150. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $300. I suggest holding on to this as the value for militaria does tend to rise more over time. Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating. If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know! Your question will NOT close after you leave rating. Sincerely,Nora