Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

A friend has an oil painting of a tea cutter done in the style

Customer Question

A friend has an oil painting of a tea cutter done in the style of Montague Dawson which she is forced to sell. A local reputable appraiser has told her that the signature on the painting Geo W Dixon done in what looks like a purple marker was added after the painting was completed, which she determined with a black light. Since she can't afford to pay to authenticate the painting it was suggested that she offer it to Sotheby's and Cristie's with intent to sell. Do you have suggestions as to how to show its value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
Thank you for the request here.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send photos.
A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The size is 28 x 36
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Could you please clarify what information you are seeking about this painting?
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I want to know how to present this to an appraiser. I think you have answered that with what you have asked for. I don' t want the value of this painting to be dismissed as a Geo W Dixon fraud,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In talking with an appraiser locally it could take thousands to reseach this painting. We don't have thousands, But she feels that it is worth the effort for the price it will bring, She is not willing to do this herself.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There,
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.The work will certainly need to be authenticated in order to be sold. If an auction house feels it is likely authentic--and they will have a pretty good idea upon first look at a clear photo--they will take the piece and handle the authentication process. Sometimes there is no charge, and sometimes there is but it is less when going through the auction houses.Would you like some auction house contacts to send the photos to, to begin the sale/authentication process?Jennifer