Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I am trustee on an estate with several old "things". One is

Customer Question

I am trustee on an estate with several old "things". One is a ansonia 8-day SHARON Strike clock, measuring 17". It has a handwritten date inside the back door of 1854 and metal disk nailed to the back with the number 184 stamped on it. Worth anything?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Ansonia 8-day mantel clock.Thanks for the very helpful photos, I can see exactly what you have. "Sharon" is the name for this particular case design, made of carved walnut or oak, in a distinctive "Eastlake" combined with classical revival style, and dates to circa 1885 - 1895.It looks to be in a desirable unrestored condition (collectors prefer that) with no obvious cosmetic defects, except it's missing its brass boss, or bulls eye (center top just below the crest) and it has its original paper label, chimes and winder key.If you were to sell at auction this clock would fetch in the range of $150 - $225.It therefore has a full replacement or insurance value of $450.I do hope this helps!Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.Best wishes,Robert