Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I'M LOOKING WHO KNOW ART GLASS LAMP,

Customer Question

HI, I'M LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO KNOW ART GLASS LAMP,
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
My name is Glenda,
I will be glad to help you today.
Are you wanting a value for this? This is an Art Deco Style Pulled Feather design Art Glass Lamp.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't want value, I want to know the maker of pulled feather art glass lamp, I been a collector for over 35yrs on lamp my self I just can't seem to figure out who made the lamp, Is it a Tiffany, Quezal, Steuben, or so on, I want the maker or proof, I found only one thing on lamp socket dated 1910,
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Without this being marked there is no way to know who made it. There were so many companies that made this same style lamp. They all copied each other when this became so popular.
Glenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are right about that, but each company has it own special style , like tiffany they use bronze metal works and stamp it and has a certain shape, As you can see this lamp has a double hump top to the shade, which other company don't have this double hump back top shade style. I search tiffany, Steuben, Quezal, and I was not able to find any glass company that make this double hump back shade style so you see why I'm asking for someone that really know art glass.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Yes, I know what you mean, I have bought and sold Art Glass for over 45 years, and have seen it by a lot of companies, that are well known. The bad part is there are a lot of glass companies who copied the large known companies to cash in on their popularity, they would make just about everything the other companies made with just a tweak or two here and there so they were not in trouble for infringing on company rights.
Companies changed their styles up also, to keep competitors on their toes.The sad part is, as fast as the internet is it does not cover 1/3 of the amount of Art Glass that was produced. There are not even enough books to cover what all was made, records were not kept very well by companies over time.
To me it is more reminiscent of Quezal's works, then the others. Most companies produced more shades then whole lamps.
There is no way to know exactly who made this.
Glenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Glenda, I started to look at the shade rim closer and I found a mark but it not real clear and maybe you can help me out on marking, look like a eagle with wing spread, I know it raise out but not very clearly marks maybe you have some cue. I thought maybe it was a banner below but not really sure. Got any ideal how I can get a better reading on marking ?
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
If it is raised you can try a pencil rubbing, take a paper and put in the area, then take a lead pencil and rub it across the area, with some pressure, it should transfer it to the paper.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Glenda, I took a pencil and try to trace it over a paper but it didn't work, so I took a pencil and over raise area and try to read over raise area and it some type of bird I believe holding a banner below, but not sure. any other ideal
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Look at this page and scroll to Phoenix Glass does the mark look like that?
http://www.glasscollector.net/Signature%20Pages/GlassSignaturesP2Z.html
Copy and paste this in your browser.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Glenda, Bird top look alike without ray but bottom banner is not right. I bought a more powerful loop but I still can't read it. How strange I have a fine art glass dealer want to buy my lamp now, He claim is Fostoria, I live closed to Fostoria and they never made this type of lamp period. made shade in pulled feather but not this style I turn his offer down,
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello.
No this is not Fostoria they never did Pulled Feather.
I think it is Phoenix Glass, they seem to have used several different marks but, always had the Eagle in the mark.
Phoenix Glass Company was founded in 1880 in Pennsylvania. The firm made commercial products, such as lampshades, bottles, and glassware. Collectors today are interested in the "Sculptured Artware" made by the company from the 1930s until the mid-1950s. Some pieces of Phoenix glass are very similar to those made by the Consolidated Lamp and Glass Company. Phoenix made Reuben Blue, lavender, and yellow pieces. They produced pulled feather lamps, shades, and more. Phoenix Glass Company produced Consolidated's famous Martele line from 1933 to 1936 and sold it under the name Phoenix Reuben-Line. These colors were not used by Consolidated. In 1970 Phoenix became a division of Anchor Hocking, then was sold to the Newell Group in 1987. The company is still working.
If this were mine and I was selling it, I would list it for sale at $***-**-****.00. I believe it is Phoenix Glass, Pulled Feather 1920's. One of their marks they used. It is marked, which the lesser known glass companies did not mark theirs, that we know of. The higher quality, higher valued did.
.
If you have any further questions or problem about your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does effect my job.
.
If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name ( Glenda ) at the beginning of your question.
.
Please keep in mind I am only compensated from the site for my answer, if you rate me positively.
.
You do so immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer! .
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Glenda, I’m starting to lean toward KEW-BLAS , but I don’t know much about this glass company, maybe you do. I don’t know if they made lamp but take look at the style, and color.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
It is possible but, I looked in all of my Art Glass Books, and every data base I can access and cannot find a lamp they made. They signed their work though and did not use a bird..look at this listing.
http://www.rubylane.com/item/623546-6200/Kew-Blas-Pulled-Feather-Pattern-Vase
I am still leaning toward Phoenix, and would sell it for the I would list it for sale at $***-**-****.00.
.
.
.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello ***** just checking in to see how things are going. Let me know if you still need help!"
If there was a problem with the answer I provided for you? I would be happy to address that. If not a rating would be greatly appreciated, since this is the only way we are compensated for answering questions, from the site.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda