Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a teaspoon bearing a mark on the back of the handle:

Customer Question

I have a teaspoon bearing a mark on the back of the handle: "INTERNATIONAL SILVER CO" and "USN" as well as an anchor emblem on the front. It does appear to be silver with no sign of any tarnish or discoloration. Any idea what the percentage silver this spoon is?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
Do you see any of these on your spoon -
the word "sterling"
the number 925
the number 950
the numbers 800, 830, or 850?
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. The only words or numbers are those which I described. Of course, there also is a "design" on the spoon, but no other words or numbers. I do know that this spoon is at least 35 years old.
The International Silver Co was founded in 1898 when several silver companies decided to join together to form one company.
The International Silver Co of Connecticut has evolved over the years into a very large company known primarily for its reasonable plated silver.
In the absence of any other marks, your spoon is plated silver and one used by or as a souvenir of the U S Navy (USN) The anchor is a symbol of the U S Navy.
Unfortunately it does not have a large monetary value as many were made and it is plated silver.
I am a silver specialist.
My research and experience indicate that your spoon has a retail vintage store value of $35-45 to a oollector.
A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.
I hope I have helped you.
If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.
All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.
I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.
If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.
Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.
Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.
Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.
Kind regards.
Doris
Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Let me know,
Doris