Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have an approximately 7.5"x 8.5" abstract work on what appears

Customer Question

I have an approximately 7.5"x 8.5" abstract work on what appears to be silk. It is signed "Mathieu No 54", (without quotation marks). I have determined the Mathieu in question to be Georges Mathieu, based on viewing works of his online and in books.
However, I have been unable to find any images of this exact work. I have found a few that were extremely similar, but none that depict the piece I have.
I would greatly appreciate any help you could provide me in regard to determining any authenticity, etc.
Thank you very much.
Jonathan Kimmel
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please send images of the work, front, back and a clear close-up of the signature. You can use the paperclip icon on the tool-bar to attach them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully these pictures help. I don't have the greatest camera but... It's a start. Thank you for your help in this matter.
Jonathan Kimmel
Hi Jonathan, The images came through nice an clear.
The signature looks right for Georges Mathieu (1921 - 2012) he is best know for his lyrical abstractions. You have what appears to be a lithographic print. They are usually signed on the print. Yours is signed on the paper the print is mounted on. He usually signs and dates the work. Most of the lithographs are untitled and have edition number, for example 24/150. As a print yours has an estimated auction value of $170.00 to $220.00. In a retail venue $340.00 to $440.00.
Cheers Tim