Kim D., Certified Appraiser & Antiques Expert
Experience:  25 Yr Decorative & Fine Art, Historic Objects Expert, CAGA, AOA
49865320

I have a mirror that was my grandfather's. It looks like a

Customer Question

I have a mirror that was my grandfather's. It looks like a shepard holding it with my grandfather's fingerprints on it from when he was a child. The stamp on the back says Rooers Silver Plate Company but I can't read what is under it. It looks to start with a D but can't make out the rest. Do you have any idea about this mirror?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Kim D. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** and I am a certified appraiser with 25 years in a museum and in the field. I am happy to help. It sounds like this would be Rogers Silver Plate Company but I am a bit confused by the description..do you have any images to share?
This would help greatly to see what you have.
You can try to attach something with the paper clip icon tool (if you see one) or use our email system through the support team who will forward images to me –‘
Send images to:
***@******.***
"Kim D. in antiques" in the subject line will help the support team find me.
Please do let me know if you are having image issues - I know that this can be tricky and we do have other options if something is causing you a problem.
Thank so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are pictures that I sent threw my phone. I still haven't received a response even though I sent them several days ago. I can't seem to get the picture to attach so hopefully they relayed them to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess they did attach
Expert:  Kim D. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience..I am so glad that you shared an image. This is quite helpful and tells me a lot.
These figurative frames are a bit more rare than other pieces by the Rogers Silver Plate Company. Figural napkin rings and other serving pieces (castors, decorative pickle jars etc.) were much more commmon... but this is a lovely example that dates to the same era of the popularity of those pieces.
By the style and handling of the shepherd this would date to the period of 1900-1915. The Art Nouveau period really took off with three dimensional figurative frames and mirrors but this fits more tightly into the styles of the late 19th century handling of sculpture (in subject and handling of the figure). (You may recognize the Art Nouveau with its quite flowing naturalistic stylized forms and females - this fits the sentimental genre of the slightly earlier late 19th century) Here is another that is on a public site that you might be able to access https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5892212_rogers-silverplate-co-figural-mirror-frame
The value of this mirror, even in this fair condition, is fairly good. Although if you took the time to resilver the mirror and plate the figure again it would be much more. In fact, looking at the broad market in 2015 this particular piece would retail in the range of 250.00-300.00 (USD) yet restored it would bring 450.00-600.00 (USD) depending on the venue and region it was sold.
If you are thinking of holding on to this as an heirloom, its replacement value for insurance would be 300.00 (USD) for your records. It is a sweet piece and all there, it just needs a bit of silver to really bring out its historic look and quality.
Best wishes and do be in touch if you have any other items of interest. I am always easy to find by addressing your questions to Kim D. - or if you have any thoughts do know that my excellent ratings are based on my customer service..I am always happy to hear from you even after the rating!