Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a figure of an old man perhaps a grandfather (or wise

Customer Question

I have a figure of an old man perhaps a grandfather (or wise elder) blessing a young boy whose head is bowed in reverence and he has a book in his right hand held against his body. The figure is 9 inches high. The old man might be a rabbi-he is bearded and both old man and boy have covered heads. On the under side is an oblong mark in blue with a symbol on both the right and left side of the mark with the symbol on the left side of the oblong pointing at the symbol on the right. It has an artists name the first starts with an "M" and last with an "F" and says Limited Edition Japan. My Mother received this from her students between 1960-1970. I very much appreciate your help in identifying this piece. Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
My name is Glenda,
I will be glad to help you today.
It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.
If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !
Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.
.
.
.
.
.
This a completely free photo hosting site, it does not cost one thing to use it.
http://www.photobucket.com/ it is very easy to use, you log in, create an account , make a user name, do not use an email address as user name , then upload your pictures, making them public, then come give me your user name, I have an account and can log into them and see them...
.
Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
Glenda
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I got the pictures but, I cannot read the markings on the bottom. Can you send a very clear close up of this. You might try the macro setting on your camera.
Glenda
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I hate to say this but, I cannot read the mark. It is coming in blurry.
Glenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Glenda, I'm sorry that you couldn't help me. I have spent quite a bit of time taking and sending images to you and am not satisfied with the result. Please pass this request on to someone who knows Japanese work like this and can recognize the mark on the bottom. There are two images of the mark and I think someone else might be able to read it. Thank you for your efforts anyway.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
I am familiar with Japanese works, it is not that I cannot find it, it is just picture is too blurry to read. No one will be able to know what this is because the image is not readable, the image is dark and blurry. No one here reads Japanese. Every appraiser here has seen this question it was on the board for about 18hrs before I picked it up. They all saw this and could not help with it or they would have picked it up.
If the image is not clear enough to read, then it is impossible to find the mark, there are thousands and thousands of marks to go through in order to try to match that up just by look.
If you can read it or send a better image that is the only way anyone can tell what this is.
Glenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Glenda, I will see if my husband can use software tools to clarify the image. The second image I sent was magnified and about as clear as I could make it without technology assists. I'll send you another image as soon as I can get it. Thanks.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you