Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have two armchairs, either Louis XV Rococo 1715-1774 or

Customer Question

I have two armchairs, either Louis XV Rococo 1715-1774 or Bergere, inherited from my husband's German ancestors. I am moving and down-sizing and will not have enough space in my condo for them. Do you have suggestions? I can send pictures.
Marianne XXXXXXXXXX
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marianne~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
There are several ways to sell your antique French Bergere. You can go through a local antique shop or local auction houses. Pawn shops are good for an outright cash sale.
A shop takes in inventory to sell for a profit, so they will offer you a percentage of the price at which they may be able to sell to a willing buyer someday.
An auction house will take a percentage of whatever the end sale price may be.
Another option would be to list your items on Craigslist yourself at a fair price. Craigs is free and they do not take a fee, so that is where you will make the most out of the end price.
Online auction options would be Ebay, Etsy & Amazon. Though bear in mind, those options involve packing and shipping.
As well, chairish.com is a great site for selling large items because they help arrange shipping and transport.
An additional method would be to donate it to a local charity shop where you will receive a tax deduction receipt in return. You can then claim the deduction when your 2015 taxes are filed.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no approximate value given to the chairs. They are too big to crate and ship, as acknowledged by Nora. I live on Martha's Vineyard but could have taken them to a reputable dealer in Boston or Cambridge myself, but she did not give me a recommendation. So I did not get any of the information I was looking for.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
My apologies, the question posed in your original posting was for suggestions on how to sell your chair nor was your location stated so as to recommend somewhere in your area.
Your 18th century French Bergere chairs would carry an estimate of $700 - $1000 each on today's market.
I would be happy to help with additional information, just please let me know what details you are seeking here.
Sincerely,
Nora