Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have an original oil painting by Ruth Mayer, done early in

Customer Question

I have an original oil painting by Ruth Mayer, done early in her career, of Main Beach Laguna. It is 24x30 inches and in good condition. It was appraised for insurance sake (replacement cost, with the artist still working) at $65K five years ago. I think it would have special appeal to owners of high-end homes in that area who remember how the town used to look and know of Ruth's work. I would like to get a ballpark street/sale value for the painting and sell it this year. Do you have any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks,
John.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
Thank you for the photo of your painting as well as the dimensions.
Please allow me time to research your question, calculate current values and write my answer.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Doris. Appreciate the help.
John.
You are welcome. This question will take a while to answer.
It was appraised at $90.28 per square inch.
I am not finding anything with that price for her work.
I will return as soon as I have a concrete answer.
Kind regards,
Doris
It may be necessary wait until tomorrow to locate correct insurance replacement value for your Ruth Mayer. My references (six art databases)give me little information. So far, there is no information to justify an appraisal of $65,000.
I am still researching.
I truly thank you for your patience.
Kind regards,
Doris
I am waiting to hear prices back from retailers that have Ruth Meyer signed originals for sale.
Again, thank you for your continuing patience.
Kind regards,
Doris
I've only heard back from one retailer so far. The retail value of a 40 x 40" painting by Ruth Mayer was quoted as $20,000 to me.
I hope you do not object to waiting until more retailers get back to me.
Please know,appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Doris. Ill wait for more.
I'm still waiting.
Thank you for your patience.
Kind regards,
Doris
After hearing back from other retail dealers, I cannot find any paintings done by Ruth Mayer over $35,000.
With this information, I cannot justify an assessment of $65,000 for insurance replacement value of your painting.
It is a very interesting early view of Laguna Beach in its early stages as it became a mecca for artists with its now the large and famous Laguna Art Festival.
The highest replacement value I can recommend is $45,000 assuming it is framed and in excellent condition.
I wish I had better news but current retail values for Ruth Mayer paintings do not justify an assessment of $65,000.
A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.
I hope I have helped you.
If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.
All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.
I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.
If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.
Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.
Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.
Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.
Kind regards.
Doris
I just heard back from another gallery retailing Ruth Mayer paintings.
A painting 36 x 58" is a "negotiable" $100,000 or $47.89 per square inch. (36 x 58 x 47.89 = approximately $100,000).
This is confirmation of my valuation.
At $47.89 per square inch, your much smaller 24 x 30" painting would have a retail value of $34,490. (24 x 30 x 47.89 = 34,490).
A $45,000 value would be a generous insurance replacement value for your painting.
Please do not forget my need for a positive rating. It is the only way I am compensated by Just Answer for my work. It costs you nothing extra.
Kind regards,
Doris