Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a tall orange handled coffee pot?- 21" No spout. No top. It says Royal Hae

Customer Question

Hi, I have a tall orange handled coffee pot?- 21" No spout. No top. It says Royal Haeger along with the shape number R G 122. The very odd thing about it is there is also the name "Donnie Wason" etched under the glaze. I bought this in Joliet, IL. so we are close to Dundee (if that matters at all.). Any ideas?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your interesting Royal Haeger piece.Can you very kindly attach a couple of photos including one of the mark.Also, how big is it?Many thanks and wait to hear.Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert,
Sure thing. It is 10" tall and 4 inches wide at the top. The photos are attached. I was wondering if Haeger ever had personal friends design their own pieces? This came from a large estate with loads of Haeger pottery.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for all the great photos and the dimensions, that helps a lot.This certainly is a curiosity. I have never seen a Haeger piece with a random name inscribed into the clay of the base like this before. There are two explanations: one is that this mold number "RG 122" was created and marketed by Haeger as a hobby ceramics mold in the same way that Calif-Originals did, say, with some of their lines. The other is that one of the fettlers at Haeger decided to consign himself to posterity on the night shift, and the piece wasn't spotted by quality control at packing. My guess it's more likely to be the latter, since I don't know of any of their molds being released for use by hobbyist art potters. The mold number "RG 122" dates this Royal Haeger piece to circa 1959/1960. It's a great example of American mid-century modern design but there's no record as to which designer it was by, though I favor Royal Hickman rather than Eric Olsen.I believe that molds with the "RG" prefix were reserved for Haeger's garden or florist wares, so this piece may have been meant simply to be a vase with a mug like handle, rather than the other way around (which was my first impression). Whatever the explanation, it's a pleasing shape and a great color -one of Haeger's signature glazes- a full saturation scarlet. This, together with it being an example of Haeger mid-century modern with a mystery twist on the bottom, it has got to be worth $40 - $60 at auction or on line (eBay etc). Full retail or replacement value: $120.This is one to hang on to and watch appreciate in value. Although mass produced in great quantities, this Royal Hickman era of Haeger epitomizes the look of American art pottery in the post-WW II era through the 1960s and will steadily become more collected over time.I do hope this helps!Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Robert! A rogue fettler! Very interesting! I did come upon the name in a town adjacent to the sale, but of course would not pester this person as it would not make a difference. The fact that it got through quality control seems to be one of the things that makes it interesting and unique! I had scoured the internet for 2 days and have yet to find one like it in any color.Thank you for putting this issue to rest for me! I am more than pleased! Have a wonderful weekend!
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Glad to have helped, though I must admit it's the first time I've done so with a "rogue fettler"!Here's the only other example of this "RG 122" shape I could find.Made to compete with ***** *****aire pottery perhaps.You too have a great weekend, and many thanks.Robert.