Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have had a antique carpet that I inherited years

Customer Question

I have had a antique carpet that I inherited years ago by a friend who was a collector of fine art. I took this carpet smoke years back to a rug dealer in Newton Ma. to see what the value might be. A dealer there immediately started showing me larger carpets to trade fo, which was not my purpose. At the same time a much older gentlemen came out from the back of the shop noticed the carpet which was lying out one one of the stacks. He asked me if this was my carpet and told me that was quite old and I shold not walk on it. He also mentioned
the word museum quality which caught my ear. Also the gent that was making offers shued him back into the back of the store. What I know about the carpet was that my now departed Victoria (orriganal owner) said that this rug was the property of her grandfather who was one of the architects of the Suez canal. I think his last name was Aggradossi. She had an old black and white photo of the carpet in front of his desk. Which was in a large estate in Como, Italy. Victoria was an Itaiian Jew that made it though WW 2.
She spoke about being very wealthy in her youth before the war years.
So at this point I have a sizable collection of her artwork most that I know who the artists are but this carpet is mystery. The piece is about 5 by 7 and the older gent I the rug show said the the baking was goat hair not cotton.
Where could I show this piece to get an idea of value?
Thanks,
Tim
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora