Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a Antique Prayer Cabinet that I acquired in Scotland.

Customer Question

I have a Antique Prayer Cabinet that I acquired in Scotland. I'm looking for information on the circa date and value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send more photos.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will send a picture of the back this evening. I look forward to your response.
Thanks,
Sue
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These pictures of the back and bottom were taken with my phone. I can get better if you need them. #'s 58 & 59 are the old hinges in the door, shot from inside. No screws.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional photos.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Do you know any history or background on this piece?
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I own a antiques business and have brought antiques in from Scotland for 14 yrs. This cabinet arrived last Thursday, 7-2-15. My buyer in Scotland said he thought it was at least 1750's and came from Europe. After seeing it in person, I think it's older and could be 16th or 17th century. The finial at the top looks like a clover and maybe Irish. Looking at the first pictures I sent, the carving on the back board is unusual as Mary and John are kneeling rather than standing, maybe due to space?? I'm interested in what the carvings around the edge, sides and top mean and what they symbolize . On the slope it shows only 2 nails, I don't see a 3rd. There is the staff with a sponge on the end, a spear, the crown of thorns, the vine as Jesus was the vine. If you look closely at the carvings on the slope there's simple lines that look like a serpent with fish tails at both ends, why? In the center at the bottom there is a line carving of something like a folded ribbon. On the door on the bottom is the 'Pieta'.... Michelangelo did the Pieta in 1497 to 1500. The sides are carved like the quilters pattern, Cathedral Window. My feeling is it came from an Ol Catholic Church Abbey. It will eventually resale and I'd like your opinion on the age, value and any information you can give me.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
It is a really beautiful and unique piece, however I would have to personally inspect this to determine age and the symbolism on the slant front.
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora