Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I picked up a shallow silver bowl about 10 inches in diameter and

Customer Question

Hi, I picked up a shallow silver bowl about 10 inches in diameter and about 1 inch deep. it is rather heavy and obviously handmade. On the rear are 5 marks. The first is the lion with the paw raised indicating sterling silver. The second is the crowned leopard head indicating that it was made in London. The third is a lower cased "d" indicating a manufacturing date of 1819. The fourth is the head of George III and the fifth is the letters IH. Other than that information I got rather easily on the net I know nothing about this piece. I would be interested in selling it but wouldn't know where to start of what the value of a piece like this is. Can you help me? Thanks, Jerry
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi ,
Thank you for the request here.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi~
Thank you for your patience.
Your sterling silver plate was actually made in London in 1779. The date letter hallmark of a small case ‘d’ is in a cartouche with chamfered top corners. The 1819 date mark has rounded top corners.
There were a large number maker hallmarks using the initials IH. The “I” usually pertained to a first name that started with J. The most likely silversmith of your plate was John Hardy, as the IH is done with thin letters that match his stamp.
The overall shape if you look at this plate from above is a Tudor Rose. The plate is engraved with heraldic devices and likely belonged to a raking member of society. It is however out of my scope online here to determine who was the original owner by deciphering the devices.
A fine late 18th century George III sterling silver hand planished plate from London attributed to John Hardy with heraldic devices can sell for $800 - $1200 on today’s market.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora