AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have an old oil painting in pencil on the back is in pencil

Customer Question

H holle
1186 e ?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Please add a photo of the painting, the back and some details of the canvas/stretcher construction. You can add pictures by using the paper clip icon or the ADD FILES button. These features work best on a desktop computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will get back to you shortly in the middle of renovating things a bit of a mess
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
That is fine, please do take your time. This system works like email and I will get an alert when you answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photos attached
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have sent photos let me know if you get them
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
The photos are here. I will have to opt-out because I do not recognize this artist. Another expert will answer and this will not cost you anything extra.
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.Is there any signature on the painting itself? I think the name on the back is the name of the owner/purchasing client, not the artist.Sincerely,Jennifer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning
Attached is the signature it looks as if it may be the same name ??
Janice
It does.
However, this is not a listed artist, and there are no retail or auction sales records.
Based on the overall appearance of the painting and frame, my sense is that this is a late 20th century "starving artist" painting, the type sold as decorative art in either large hotel sales, or in shopping mall galleries. The string of numbers on the back is also typical of what is on those paintings.
These are primarily produced in China, and European-sounding artist names are ***** ***** them.
Sincerely,
Jennifer
Can I help you further with this item?
Jennifer
Good morning,
I see you have not yet accepted or rated my answer. Here at JustAnswer, Experts cannot be credited for their work until the customer provides a positive rating.
Of course, I want you to feel justified in providing a positive rating. How can I help further? Do you have more questions about this item?
Sincerely,
Jennifer