Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a beautiful, slender oblong sterling silver tray that

Customer Question

I have a beautiful, slender oblong sterling silver tray that is about 9inches long. I have determined from the hall marks that it is made by the Gorham Silver company sometime in the late 19th Century.
What I can't find, but believe to be the style number is ***** M.
Can you tell me what this number and the letter M means.
Thank you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you for making your question to JustAnswer. My name is*****'m an Antiques Expert and I will try to help you with your particular inquiry. Please, don't hesitate to contact me any time or to make follow up questions if needed. Could you provide a picture of the mark? The main issue is that Gorham flatware patterns, as a rule, are designated either by name or by number, but not both. However, there are exceptions. For example, Gorham gave a not-full-line pattern or grouping a name and then designated different designs within that group by a specific number. Flatware pieces with manufacturer's numbers within a rectangle are special orders. I would need a picture of the mark in order to identify the tray. Thanks