Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Who is the artist named Wijmer who is a landscape painter?

Customer Question

who is the artist named Wijmer who is a landscape painter? when was he born, the value of his orignals?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
I did some preliminary research on Wijmer before I decided to answer your question.
Please allow me time to research your question, calculate current values and write my answer.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will be waiting for your reply james
I thank you for your patience.
Kind regards,
Doris
Gerritjen Wijmer was born in 1870 and worked in the Netherlands. He is often confused with a Wijmer/Wilmer born n Germany in 1898.
I believe the first Wijmer I describe is the correct one because his paintings are more similar to the turn of the century than the German Wijmer/Wilmer's would be.
The correct Wijmer's oils on canvas paintings are rare starting at $20,000 up according to size.
His best known painting, "Mountain Mist" is worth about $200,000.
Reproductions of this painting go for as much as $1500.
A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.
I hope I have helped you.
If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.
All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.
I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.
If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.
Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.
Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.
Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.
Kind regards.
Doris
Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Let me know,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doris. What you told me with what I already knew from the Internet. What he didn't tell me is what I really needed to know. When were these two men born, When did they die, how can I tell which one painted my picture? The picture we have is a mountain scene, oil on canvas original, signed by Wijmer. The actual picture is 23 x 30, frame it has 28 x 36. It was purchased about 1963. We have a photo of picture and a full and also a picture of the signature. This is the information that I would like to have, I guess I wasn't explicit about in my wants. Hope you can help me out in this matter. James
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Doris for your reply, but as you can see I needed more, I hope that you will be able to help me find out what I need to know. Also I would appreciate some idea of our picture if it is an original Wijmer?
As I said in my answer, the artist is the Wijmer of the Netherlands born in 1870. There is so little known about him that I do not have an exact year of death. It looks very similar to his style of painting.
He painted in oils. If the surface of the painting feels slightly rough, then you know it is an oil painting not a print.
You can send me a photo of his signature and I can see if I can find it. You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) to take a clear photo.
If another unscrupulous artist copied Wijmer's signature and painting, I cannot say for sure. It would require taking to a museum curator at a major museum to authenticate. All I can do is see if the style of the signature is correct.
Please remember that all you asked for in the beginning was who the artist was, his date of birth and value of his original paintings. I answered those questions.
Please send a photo of the signature. I can tell you if it looks correct.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doris. As I said before is probably my fault, I didn't make my desires clear that I hope you will work with me to try to find out your authenticity of my painting and the value of its size if it is an actual oil by Wljmer. Also if this is the original with the value you mentioned how would we go about selling? Sorry about the mixup and look forward to working with you. The best to you, James
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doris would try to send signature and a photo of a picture to you.
Please send me a photo of the signature and of the painting.
To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link you see on your reply page.
If it is not there then you may use the free internet photo site
imgur.com. Use the following instructions:
Go to http://www.imgur.com.
a. Click "Computer"
b. Find the photo file on your computer that you want to send
c. Click open on the file
d. You will see a Start Upload link on the imgur.com page.
Click on it
e. Your image will appear on the screen
f. Highlight and copy the address link under Direct Link
to the right on the imgur page
g. Paste that link into your reply box on Just Answer
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doris trying to send you a picture of the signature and painting but having some trouble. Neither my wife or I a computer experts so we need some help trying to get this on the computer. We're having some problems might have to send this to you on snail mail.
Yes but you will need to follow the direction exactly or I will not receive them -
his is the official explanation of how to send photos via email:
Send the picture to,***@******.***,
In the subject line put " Pictures for˜Doris in Antiques or Appraisals."
.
In the body of the message put, your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with
just answer, so they can verify who you are.
This method takes longer because the photos are sent to the Just Answer techs who must forward them to me.
.
They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you. This method sometimes takes 24 hours to get to me.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doris I can't get your e mail to come up, I am sure that I am the problem. sorry james
James,
It is not my email address. It is the address for Just Answer.
Again - it is***@******.***
Please try again. Remember to follow the directions exactly.
You may need to copy and paste the email address in your "To" part of your email.
Kind regards,
Doris