Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

We have a Civil War Medical Officers sword what value?

Customer Question

Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has th initials engraved on center blade HS Am waiting for your answer on this thank you
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure it is not MS? MS means Medical Staff and is not a person's initials. Are there any words anywhere else? The maker of the sword should be on the blade somewhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inth looking at the initials again after receiving your message, the are almost like greek letters or something but for sure they are not MS. I think I need to buy a camera that can send pictures. right now I don'have that capability. Don't know what t o do next. We have our entire civil war collection for sale, about 30 ft. when laid out on tables. Thanks for your help. Sharon
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture of what a Medical Staff sword lettering should look like. This is called Old English type style. Compare it to yours since you do not have a camera. Maybe we can work that way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, this looks nothing like ours and ours is on the blade. I think I need to find someone who can take as picture and send to you. thanks for trying. Sharon
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Great, that would make the most sense in this case. Look for a maker as well. Horstmann made swords, look for that name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK could our HS simply be Horstmanns initials?
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
No, they always spelled out their name