Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Where do I go to get an appraisal piece of art that could

Customer Question

Where do I go to get an appraisal for a piece of art that could be close to 100 years old. I believe it is made of chalk
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send photos.
A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sending pics of the frame and painting. If it didn't turn out right please let me know.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
The images attached here are just of the corner of the frame.
At your convenience, please send a complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sending pics of the front, back, and signature of artist. Not sure if you can read the artist's name though.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
If you can please send more images of the signature from different angles, that will be helpful.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pic is 31x16
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
I am not able to decipher the signature.
I can provide an estimate of value based on comparables
~OR~
I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional fee.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd appreciate your estimate. Thanks
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
Thank you for your patience.
On today's market, an unattributed, signed, antique circa 1900 framed pastel of landscape and house measuring 16" x 31" would sell for $200 - $300. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $400.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora