Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I bought a black rag folk doll. She feels like cotton stuffing

Customer Question

I bought a black rag folk doll. She feels like cotton stuffing but there are no manufacturer marks. She has drss and apron. Stitching looks like machine. It appears a synthetic wig was sewn on later with black knots for hair under the wig. small stitching for face with paint on eyes nose and mouth. Does anyone know how to tell her original age? She is beautiful. I believe she looks like 1800 or early 1900 that I have googled. Thanks!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nora, I will have to figure out how to send photos. Thank you for your response. I'm eager to learn more and happy even if it is discovered she is a reproduction. I'm most curious of her age.

Kim

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kim,
You can try emailing your images to***@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.
Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nora,

Thank you. I will try that. First I must figure out how to get pictures transferred to my computer. I appreciate your fast response. Happy 4th!

Kim

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
You too! No rush with images.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nora, I just emailed as directed one photo. Please let me know if you receive it.

Kim

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for the heads-up on emailing images. I will certainly let you know when they have arrived to me. In the meantime, be on the look-out for a confirmation email from customer service confirming they have received your images and will forward to me. Sincerely, Nora