rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I am trying to research a mark I found on a painting I looked

Customer Question

I am trying to research a mark I found on a painting I looked at today. We realize it is incorrectly attributed to John Millas, but the mark in the upper right corner is difficult to research. I appears to be a crown with a bird on top and the number 18 on the left side and 60 on the right side of the crown.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send larger, more clear, photos.
A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nora,I do not have the greatest camera but will try for better photos. Will send soon. I was told by the consignor Christie's had valued this painting between 10-15K. It was incorrectly attributed to John Everett Millais.Thank you and photos coming soon.Lori Karlson(###) ###-####
You are welcome to call me.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
That is fine - send over images at your convenience.
If I do not respond immediately, it is because I am not at my computer. Please rest assured that I will attend to your postings as soon as I am signed back in again.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nora,
I have better photos to send once I figure out how to do so. The size of the painting is 17 1/2 x 15 1/4 framed and 13 x 11 in. within the frame.Thank you,
Lori Karlson
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the dimensions and update Lori.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I hope this works for the photos.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Could you please provide details on why this was attributed to Millais then disputed as such?
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This painting was consigned to us at Atlanta Auction Company in Lawrenceville, GA. The consignor received this as a gift from a prominent family who believed this to be by Millais. The consignor said Christie's in London told him it was incorrectly attributed to Millais. No other information was given. I hope this helps.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There, I have not found a match to this Millais-style signature mark for you. I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. I will not be able to respond back after opting-out. I do hope you find the information that you seek. Sincerely, Nora
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I am 100% certain that this IS a Mallais piece. Please disregard what you were told by one person. I have added three examples of his signature over the years, the most important one being on the painting. This painting has the year painted to either side just as yours does. His signature is a monogram of a J and an M that is proportioned to look like a crown. The styling of your piece is fitting with his painting style and subject matter. I have no doubt that this is a Sir John Everett Millais piece.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
photo
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
sketch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for the information! This will be available for auction in August and I wanted to try to get as much information about it as possible. Your info. has been very helpful!
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Please do click the stars to rate me. Good luck!