Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I own a Classic Baltimore flamed grain mahogany desk with

Customer Question

I own a Classic Baltimore flamed grain mahogany desk with Ionic carved full columns, amber birds-eye maple interior w/secret drawer and original brass Eagle pulls. It was purchased from the Estate of ***** ***** Swope and The Late Donald McCurdy Swope of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania on April 2, 1995 at auction. The desk was used by the Swope family of attorneys before, during, and after the Civil War. This information has been documented. The desk has been attributed to John Needles but I am unsure where or how to look for any makers marks. One of the Swope attorneys served as Senator in his state. Could you give me any information on the value of the desk, qualified appraisers in the xxxxxxxxxxx, xx area that could confirm it is a John Needles desk, and how I can care for it. I put a thin coat of Old English Furniture Cleaner when we got the desk and have not put anything on it since then. I really could use your expertise in verifying authenticity and proper care of this historical piece. Thank You for any help you can give me. xxxxxxxxxx, (xxxx) xxx-xxxx
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
How wonderful to have such a piece!
Please send me photos of the desk as well as the dimensions of the desk.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there will be an additional charge for the phone call, I would prefer to correspond privately by email.
There is an additional charge both by phone and private email. I havYe been doing some research. I now have some certified appraisers names - 2 in KY and 2 in MD.
Would you like to proceed here. I can provide what you need via Just Answer. You can ask customer service not to publish my answer if you wish.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not very knowledgeable on computers. I will need to have my friend help me. How do you suggest that I do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I realized that my last message was unclear. How do I send the photos you have requested.
To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link you see on your reply page.
If it is not there then you may use the free internet photo site
imgur.com. Use the following instructions:
Go to http://www.imgur.com.
a. Click "Computer"
b. Find the photo file on your computer that you want to send
c. Click open on the file
d. You will see a Start Upload link on the imgur.com page.
Click on it
e. Your image will appear on the screen
f. Highlight and copy the address link under Direct Link
to the right on the imgur page
g. Paste that link into your reply box on Just Answer
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get those photos to you as soon as I can get a friend to help.
There is no hurry.
I look forward to receiving your photos.
Kind regards,
Doris