Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
66811035

I have a beautiful complete set of silver over copper Tea service.

Customer Question

I have a beautiful complete set of silver over copper Tea service. on the bottom it the pieces it is engraved with a crown followed by B S C (in old english script) under those letters is REG. What does that translate into & worth of set ? Thank You
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.Do you have any photos of the set as well as the mark you may be able to send? There are a few different options to send pictures to us, they are as follows:
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
UPLOAD:The link below will direct you through our upload processhttp://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
EMAIL:You can also email pictures to***@******.*** with ATTN MTantiques in the subject heading. Be sure to include the link to your question page in the email for our customer service. The emails can take up to a few hours to process, but as soon as I receive it I can send my evaluation.Thank you for your time,Frank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't have a pic to send. The marking of the crown is depicted with dots & cross on top of crown. The letters in old english script are each enclosed in a square; I hope that helps?
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what pieces are included in the set? Any damages?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No damage at all, it's very beautiful. Starting with the tray 28" long X 171/2 wide , one tea pot or coffee pot that has a silver holder to place the pot on to, to pour out contents. A water pitcher 91/2", one tea pitcher 12" ,one measures 11", appears to be a coffee server 10" . one creamer. one sugar cube holder with tongs, as well as a granulated sugar holder. There is also a silver set of double candle stick holders that measure 131/2 " with FB Rogers (no other markings on them)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Did you receive my last info?
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
I just received it. Thank you.
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you have two different makers. I'm going to get to work on that evaluation right now and should have it out to you in the next 45 minutes.Thank you for your patience,Frank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to be clear, the silver tea service is all same, I believe. The large candle stick holders are the only items that have "FB Rogers" inscribed on the bottom. Hope I'm not too confusing! Thank You, Susan
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again Susan.Based on your description your silver tea set would have been produced by the FB Rogers Silver Co in Taunton, MA under the auspices of the International Silver Company.
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
In the current resale market, silverplate has been a bit down due to a down turn in demand in the past 7 years or so.In a retail antique shop you would be looking at a value of 300-350USD in excellent condition.If you were to attempt to resell the set yourself a realistic fair market value would be closer to the 200-250USD range.
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
I hope this information was helpful to you today.Thank you again for your patience.Any feedback you can leave for my service today would be very much appreciated.Have a great week,Frank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Frank,
The Tea service was not made by FB Rogers, the candle sticks however were. The candlesticks were purchased almost 50 yrs after the tea service. I assumed given the description on the bottom of the Tea service "BSC" with the crown would be an indicator of the mfg., year etc... The tea service came from my grandmother who was born in 1898 I believe it was purchased around 1920. The candlesticks were purchased by my mother around 1980. Does that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again to clarify; I think the tea service was a wedding present to my grandparents in the 1920's they are my maternal grandparents. My grandmother gave the set to my mom in 1980's at which time my mother purchased the candlesticks to sit on either side of the tea service on the buffet. Subsequently, all was passed on to me. That is the only factual info I have. I really am interested in the inscribed BSC followed by the crown emblem. Thanks
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let's try this again. The candlesticks are separate from the tea set. Those are marked with FB Rogers.The tea set has the BSC with crown mark on it.The BSC marking you have described belongs to the Birmingham Silver Company of Brooklyn New York who began production in the early 20th century and went out of business in the early 1970's.I did a look through my auction records and found Birmingham Silveplated tea sets selling between 175-225USD. I apologize for the confusion on the set. Have a great week,Frank
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again for any feedback you can leave for my service
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, the info you supplied is not accurate. Therefore, I can not in good judgement give you credit for the response. Initially, I was to converse with a lady (don't remember her name) with qualifications to include working with Antique Road Show. I'm not sure how this "mix-up" occurred and I'm sure you have your specialties with antiques just not this item.
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
If you have a photo of the marking I would be more than happy to confirm that the mark is from the Birmingham silver company.