Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

We have a wood table that was purchased in Germany. it has

Customer Question

We have a wood table that was purchased in Germany. it has a handwritten word Hule is what we think it says and a wood burned mark with numbers on the bottom side of the wood slab. It is a base of very knobby wood and a huge slab with organic live edge wood. It looks a slab of wood cross cut from a huge tree. A dealer once told us that is is one of a few. We are trying to find out who the manufacturer/maker is? How can we identify the mark.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send more photos.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added the photos already!
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for adding the photos, only one close-up of the signature was attached to the original posting.
This is certainly a fantastic live-edge wood table, the piece and the cut are very large; however I have not found a match to this maker mark for you.
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Additional information: Hopefully this may help someone.... Bought in Germany in April of 1983 in an old German furniture house. Augsburg, Germany. The story that was told upon purchase was... there was a castle that was built in the 14th century that was walled in in the city of Versaille. They planted trees on the "driveway" on both sides the entire length of it. The trees we were told were Root Elm. The story continues that the roots were growing up and through the driveway and they had to cut them down. The wood was kept and preserved for future use and supposedly a German furniture maker bought them and turned them into 9 tables in mid 1900's. That is what we were told and obviously it could have been a great story to sell the piece, but it would be lovely to be able to credit the furniture maker when we are asked about the table every time we have guests and they ask about the piece. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only additional information that we can give you is that we paid $1800.00 at that time. The furniture store was a store that sold unusual and rare furniture and is no longer in business.