rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I don't have pictures or dimensions I was looking at a small

Customer Question

I don't have pictures or dimensions I was looking at a small bone china cup and plate that to me looked like the smaller version of an antique hot chocolate cup. I was told by someone that women actually used it to sip wine or other feminine alcoholic
drinks in them I'm thinking 1800-early 1900"s. did such sets ever exist and if so what would be a good guess of what they are worth today
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
A small cup and saucer set would be a demitasse cup and saucer if it is not part of a chocolate set. Demitasse cups were for a strong coffee served with breakfast and for after dinner. Bone china was never used for drinking alcohol, that has always been served in glass.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you that's what I thought the person that told me this used to own an antiques store. they also told me appraisers on here get it wrong and she is always right
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what to say to that, other than I am cautious of people that say they are always right!Let's close this question by having you click the stars. If you'd like to have me assess anything else, start a new question and put 'rarewares' so that you could get me again.If you ever have other items that you wonder about, you can start a new question and put 'rarewares' so that it will be saved for me. I do glass, china, porcelain, jewelry, silver and signed art. You never know what you might have!