rusufdavi
rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques and collectibles
73504548

I have a doll that belonged to my grandmother who was born

Customer Question

I have a doll that belonged to my grandmother who was born in 1883. She is a black doll, about 26" high and I understand that she is bisque. On the back of her head is an inscription, that to the best of my knowledge is SH1079-10 DEP. I would like to know the history of this doll. She lived, in pieces, in a pillow case, in my grandmother's dresser drawer when I was a child. In the later 1960's my grandmother gave her to me. Her fingers and toes were disintegrating a bit and I had her restrung and her extremities repaired. We had a photo of the doll from years ago, and my aunt dressed her as closely to the photo as possible. Unfortunately the photo seems to have disappeared.
Can someone elighten me as to the history of this lovely antique? At one point I was asked to donate her to the children's museum doll collection at the Museum of Civilization in Ottawa/Gatineau, Quebec, Canada. i am now about to give her to the great, great, grandaughter of my grandmother.
Doroty Gray
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
HelloThank you for making your question to JustAnswer. My name is*****'m an Antiques Expert and I will try to help you with your particular inquiry. Please, don't hesitate to contact me any time or to make follow up questions if needed. SH tell us that the manufacturer is SIMON & HALBIG. Simon & Halbig was founded in 1839, they began making dolls from 1869 in their two porcelain factories in Gräfenhain and Hidburghausen, near Thuringia, Germany. In 1920 S & H was bought by Kämmer & Reinhardt, who continued to produce dolls until 1932. Sometime after the factory became known as Keramisches Werk Gräfenhain. Simon & Halbig is known for their fine bisque doll heads and innovation in the doll industry, they also supplied doll heads to many other well known doll manufacturers. The number 1079 is the mold number of your particular doll. The number 10 tel us the type of style, makeup, hair color, eye color...etc used with your doll. Your particular doll was manufacturer in the early 1900s. Regarding the value of your item, I have just perform a market research of similar sold items as yours. I performed the research based upon the most recent finished auctions and private sells, so the value given is the real market value of your item. This is the only way to know the exact value of your unit.The value will be in the range of 100-160$. Please, use the stars to rate my answer or let me know if I can help you any further!